Monday, June 9, 2008

Let's See, There's Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring, and.... My Favorite, Ling Cod Season!


Let me introduce you to my little friend! If you'll recall, back when I started the blog I told a story about my psychadelic dive where a ling cod rammed me in the boat at about 75 feet down. Well, over the past year, he's rammed me two more times. So, I'm sure you can imagine how anxious I've been for Ling Cod Season to start!

Jeremy and I went to Three Tree Point with a speargun and a hawaiian sling to go after my arch rival and nemesis in the boat. When we came to the boat, we swam around to the backside and peeked in the hole where the motor used to be mounted. Virtually every time we've come to the boat, we have seen him inside the boat through this hole. Well, as luck would have it, he's not there. Needless to say, I'm upset because I've been waiting so long to get that little sucker! So we start looking all around the boat and inside it where there lay several boards and chunks of cement. Just as I'm about to give up, I see in one of the holes of the debris the classic brown and black spots of my Ling Cod! I signal to Jeremy and he takes the shot....

Pow, right in the kisser! The fish is squirming and jerking! Direct hit! So we begin the tedious process of lifting off the debris to get to him. By the time we finally get to the fish, I have my light in one hand to help Jeremy dig and the hawaiian sling and debris being held up in my other. Jeremy gets the last board out of the way and... it's not him! It was a smaller one!

I'm ready to throw a tantrum right there when all of a sudden, BAM! That dirty son of a gun rams me upside the head. AGAIN! I reach out and try to catch him in my hands to no avail and drop everything I'm holding to go after him over the back of the boat.

Jeremy, meanwhile, is reloading his speargun (now in the dark since I left him to go after the devil fish!). I swim over the back of the boat and down to the hole in the back as I'm sure that is where he has gone. Nothing. At this point I'm screaming in rage that the little sucker rammed me again and took off! Ling Cod season only lasts two weeks and I'm sure at this point that I've missed my chance. Defeated, I decide to go back over the rear of the boat to relay to Jeremy what happened. I come up over the top just in time to see that the spawn of satan has landed right in front of Jeremy who takes the shot and nails him!



Of course, we brought him, the other Ling, and a few Greenling that we also speared home for dinner. As we're taking in the first bite of beer-battered happiness, I thought to myself, "Well, you've waited a year for this. Was it all worth it?" ABSOLUTELY! Here's to Ling Cod Season!


-Swimmer Todd-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, and he tasted SO GOOD!